Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Thank Goodness for Towels



I am an optimist most of the time. But there are moments when I question myself. Not my hopes and goals, but if I am doing what I should to achieve them. I have to realign myself and it naturally leads to a cozy little bout of self-flagellation. Okay, bit of exaggeration...more of a pity party.

It's hard to acknowledge that we've fallen off the path or gotten distracted by the pretty roadside flowers or just slowed down to a shuffle towards my dreams. But I love this message. That wherever we are, as long as we are heading in the right direction, then there is hope. We can make better and more diligent efforts as we yoke ourselves with the Savior and leave the self recriminations behind us.

Oh, and as I've been writing this bright and shiny post, I heard a little too much laughter and giggles from the bathroom nearby. I just came from investigating. Three little boys, a sinkful of water and a toy from the school "treasure box" which is essentially a gigantic version of an eye dropper, but capable of sucking up and dumping a half cup of water.

Yes, a lovely little mess and three soaking boys are what I just found. So I handed out beach towels, pointed to the floor and to the laundry room next door and decided to see if I can calm down and see the funny/bright/good side of this in five minutes.

Ah! Just returned from a check on them. Floor was (mostly) dry and older boys were trying to get themselves dry. Handed out pajamas and helped the little one. Almost done and back to normal. Really, it was just a five minute hiccup. But when I discovered it, it had the potential to ruin the rest of my evening. So hard to keep perspective sometimes. I am grateful for moments like these when I can remember what life (and motherhood) is really all about.

To quote a favorite Christian rock song:

"We lose our way, we get back up again
It's never too late to get back up again.
One day, you will shine again,
You may be knocked down, but not out forever..."
-TobyMac, "Get Back Up"

I am grateful for the Hope of Repentance and Forgiveness and the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
I am grateful for kiddos that remind me why I have Towels and Washing Machines and Hugs when its all over.

3 comments:

  1. It IS hard to keep perspective! I bet those boys had a great time though. :D

    Hey thanks for reading my post on Janice's blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! They sure did. In fact they begged for a repeat of the "Bathroom Water fight" just two nights ago. I let them pile into the bathtub instead, just to keep the water in one place. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks for tracking me and my blog down! I really enjoyed reading your advice. It reminded me of when my mother would call us all together for a "Blitz" of the living room/house. She'd set a timer and away we'd go. It was a competition against the countdown and we tried to get the place sparkling. I finally figured out that it was a regular thing on Friday afternoon (after the school week) and late Sunday afternoon(after the weekend). Gosh, my mom was smart! I'm still struggling to fill her shoes. :)

      Delete