Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chariots of Fire and the Talent Within

Photo from film 'Chariots of Fire' via Tumblr


I love the example of Eric Liddell who is one of the principle characters in the film, 'Chariots of Fire'. I remember  watching this film as a youngster and then again, several more times. The whole film is chock-full of awesome sound bites that are inspiring. 

This week, as I watch some of my revisions take on a better quality, I feel an excitement within. Like a runner feeling the exultation of speed and effort and lightness. These revisions were inspired by critiques and the need to improve. Not always fun. 

In fact, its never fun to hear that you missed your goal in whatever you are trying to accomplish.

But as I poured over my manuscript and saw that yes, I needed more dialog here and more internal there. And then the words CAME, and I experienced a thrill.

Somehow, I always fear that the words will dry up and that I won't be able to make a text better, more clear, more precise, etc. But when I exercise my writing muscles, the words do come. Not always right away. 
(That's for sure!) 
But the words come.

And I know that there is a talent within me, a talent for telling a story, that God put within. It is a delight to find that chunk of talent and start hacking away at it, mining it from the dross that surrounds it. And then to find a sparkly story peeking through. It takes time and a TON of effort to get the story pure and ready for an audience. 

The fire of revisions is truly a crucible. 

But the shiny, polished story that emerges is worth every effort.

I know that there will be an agent and some editors in the future who will help me burn off more dross and get me polishing. But that's all good. Because stories have power. Power to reach another soul. 

So, back to Eric Liddell. I love his quote: 
"I believe God made me for a purpose. But he also made me FAST! 
And when I run, I feel his pleasure."

That's how I feel about telling a story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment