Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dynamite - Just Voice and Mouth - a Writer's Parable



My family has become a big fan of this song, Dynamite...the Disney, China Anne McClain version...as we hear it nearly everyday on TV.

But this version caught my attention. A one-man-show putting it all together with only vocalization and mouth to produce the different synths, drums, piano, etc. I am already a big fan of A Capella music. But this was So Fun to watch.

But as I've watched this a few times, it reminded me of my journey writing my novel.

This morning, my eight-year-old asked me. "So, Mom. How long have you been typing that book?"

 If I only count the typing and not the six months of writing long hand, it's been over a year. Fourteen months to be exact. Argh! Really that long?!?

Eep!

So Mike Tompkins and his vocalization reminded me that this is a layered work, not just some simple one page fairy tale.

Yep! I've written a first draft, a second draft, taken out huge chunks added scene after scene. Sometimes I feel like I'm a highway construction crew. I move along patching and repairing and building whole new sections. Then go back to review, only to find that there is STILL more to do!

Sigh!

But I watch this guy, Mike Thompson, and think yeah, this is a lot like writing. First comes the main plot, like the melody line. Then I divided it up between the two points of view I'm using...like harmonizing the song to make it more full. Then we need some counterpoint rhythm...some bad guys and their nefarious goals. This brings a feeling of danger and a value to the stakes. This is the bass, anchoring the piece. Every story needs some great secondary characters. This adds both a rhythmic kick and a floating descant above. These give depth and volume to your story (my story).

Suddenly, I don't feel so bad answering: "Fourteen months I've been typing son. A year and a half that I've been working at this book."

No. It doesn't feel so bad. Because every thing that is worth doing needs time for imaginary creation, physical creation and then refinement. And this story is definitely worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment