Monday, June 20, 2011

Michael Bublé - "Save The Last Dance For Me" Official Music Video

I have been thinking about DANCE the last few days. Our new ward had a service auction on Saturday. I thought it would be fun to put up dance lessons ... taught by Mark and I for someone to bid on. I got a call in the afternoon before, asking if we would be willing to give a 'demonstration'.


Ooooooooookay!

I realized that it had been six months since Mark and I had done any real dancing. Hoo Boy! So the hour before the dinner/auction, I was a huge ball of stress. We were still trying to pick the music and figure out which dance to perform.

Waltz or Cha-Cha? Or maybe a Foxtrot?

Well, it all went fine. And all seemed to like what we did. There was bidding that ended in $55. (Pretty Cool!) So we will be teaching a lucky couple to dance.

So it got me thinking, and I remembered this fun music video by Michael Buble. (I hope you enjoy it!)

But that got me thinking on another tangent.

I heard the story behind this song one time. The man who wrote it was partially paralyzed by Polio. He had to use crutches to get around and was unable to dance to any real degree. But his wife loved to dance. In fact, I understand that she was a Broadway actress and dancer. So in the song, the husband encourages his sweetheart to go have fun dancing; enjoy the evening. However, he would be sitting there on the sidelines (as I imagine). He tells her, asks her, to save the last dance for him. That special last dance that one saves for your someone special, he wants to claim.

"Don't go home with anyone else, don't fall in love with anyone else."

"I'm still the man you married. I'm still the man who loves you. Enjoy the night, but come back home with me."

It made me think about something Marjorie Hinckley said about her husband, Gordon. She said that he always gave her wings to fly.

I am grateful for my husband who gives me wings... freedom. There are nights when I'm just about ready for bed, but I can't settle down because there is something that I just need to write down, or I'm going to forget. Or when the day was just too full to do anything for me and I just need some time alone with my writing or art or whatever project I'm working on.

My husband is not a nightowl. So he gives me a kiss and asks that I come to bed soon. And I do...if midnight is considered 'soon'. Usually its midnight. Once in a while, when the creative juices are really flowing, I finish my project and realize its 1:30, 2 or even 3 in the morning. But I rarely hear a 'I told you so' when I wake up groggy in the morning.

What a sweetie! What a man among men! Boy, am I glad he's mine.

And yes, Darling, I'll save my last dance...and all the rest of them... for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment